Rio Rancho Public Schools is returning to remote learning days in lieu of snow days for the 2023-24 school year.

“Due to recent changes during the 2023 legislative session and the requirements regarding instructional hours for our schools, we will be unable to cancel school for the day without being required to add additional days at the end of the school year,” a letter to parents reads. “Therefore, we will be reinstating remote learning for snow days.”

The reminder came Wednesday afternoon, just ahead of an expected stretch of winter weather. The National Weather Service Albuquerque posted on X (formerly Twitter) early Wednesday morning: “Winter weather returns tonight through Saturday morning. The heaviest accumulations will focus through western and northern NM, with lighter amounts reaching to the lower elevs of central NM and to east-central NM.”

The Rio Rancho forecast calls for a 40% chance of showers after 11 p.m. Wednesday and a 70% chance of scattered rain and snow before 11 a.m. Thursday. Then Thursday night and Friday morning a 30% chance of snow.

This forecast follows the snow Rio Rancho already saw in the overnight hours of Nov. 24-25, which saw about 2 inches fall on the City of Vision.

If in-person school is called off and remote learning instituted, RRPS won’t require students to log in at a specific time for a Google Meet with their teacher. Instead, they will receive work to complete independently throughout the day. Teachers and staff will work from home and will be available by email.

In the event of a school delay or remote learning day due to inclement weather, notifications will be sent via email, text and phone messages. Information will also be available through local news, the RRPS website and its social media platforms.