Peter Ryan Lynch has been arrested on a federal warrant for violation of terms of pretrial release stemming from his April arrest.

Wednesdy afternoon, a large contingent of law enforcement blocked off the entrance to a trailer court at the intersection of Meadowlark and Serena. Agencies on the scene included Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Department, including SWAT, Rio Rancho Police Department, New Mexico State Police and U.S. Marshals. A release from the U.S. Marshals Service described Wednesday’s events as a brief standoff/barricade.

Multiple agencies were on the scene during Wednesday’s standoff/barricade. (Tracy Goldizen/Observer)

Lynch is accused of violating his bond conditions after removing his court-ordered ankle monitor and leaving a halfway house on May 7, prompting the issuance of a federal warrant. He is also accused of making “homicidal ideations” directed at law enforcement, the release states.

On Wednesday, the United States Marshals Service-Southwest Investigative Fugitive Team (USMS-SWIFT) confirmed Lynch was at his home in the area of Meadowlark Lane and Serena and attempted to make contact with him when he exited his home. Lynch reportedly ignored orders and went back into his house.

“USMS-SWIFT made numerous attempts to establish contact with Lynch and have him safely exit the residence,” the release says. “Lynch failed to communicate or respond to USMS-SWIFT and a barricaded-subject call was made.”
That’s when the Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office SWAT Team responded, assuming tactical control.

At about 5 p.m., Lynch emerged from the residence and was taken into custody without further incident. He was medically assessed by Rio Rancho Fire Department-Emergency Medical Technicians, was cleared and taken to the federal courthouse to be processed and scheduled for a court appearance.

Peter Lynch is placed in handcuffs after emerging from his house around 5 p.m. Wednesday. (Tracy Goldizen/Observer)

“I am pleased to announce the successful collaboration between our department and the United States Marshals Service in the arrest of a man wanted for a violent federal felony warrant. The apprehension of this dangerous individual is a testament to the tireless work of our law enforcement partners and the dedication of teamwork,” said Bernalillo County Sheriff John Allen. “We take the safety and security of our community seriously, and we will continue to work closely with our federal partners to ensure that those who threaten the safety of our citizens are brought to justice.”

“We will continue to combine our efforts with our state and local partners to most effectively enforce te law,” said Sonya K. Chavez, U.S. Marshal for the District of New Mexico. “This arrest was the result of the combined efforts and resources and as a result, we were able to minimize the risk to our community.”

The USMS-SWIFT team was composed of officers and agents from BCSO, APD, U.S. Department of Homeland Security and USMS. Additional agencies offering assistance ere the NMSP, New Mexico Attorney General’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

What led to this?

Last month, Lynch, 46, was arrested on a federal charge of receipt or possession of an explosive device after a warrant was served in regard to Lynch receiving firearm silencers from China. During the search, which involved the New Mexico State Police Bomb Squad and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, officers found what they said was a functional pipe bomb, three additional pipe bombs, several inert grenades, a shotgun and corresponding ammunition, and ballistic vest.

He faces 10 years in prison on that charge.

A different perspective

However, Terri Barr, who identified herself as Lynch’s caretaker, said Wednesday evening that the incident was exaggerated. “They were originally here for a package that never arrived,” she said, saying that Lynch was expecting fuel filters for his vehicle.

She said that they did find the decommissioned grenade and “a container that looked like an explosive but it wasn’t, and they decided to exaggerate this.”

She also claimed that Lynch’s constitutional rights were violated during that search and that there was damage to the property, including home security cameras being knocked down.

Barr also said that Lynch is a presidentially decorated veteran with several mental health concerns, including PTSD and schizoaffective disorder, “which affects his sense of reality sometimes,” she said.

Barr said Lynch left his location to return home to check on Barr, his house and his dog. “I think, just coming back to the house to check on it because it’s his, what else to they expect of him? I didn’t know he had cut off his ankle monitor,” she said. “I was just happy to see him.”

She added that Lynch planned to return to the halfway house that day, “and they came back to the house and used excessive force,” including releasing tear gas, triggering his PTSD, she said.

According to her, this won’t be the last of it.

“He will be suing them for this,” she said. “They’re making it look worse than what’s going on.”

SWAT equipment could be seen going in and out of the intersection of Meadowlark and Serena during Wednesday’s standoff. (Tracy Goldizen/Observer)