- Placitas Community Library invites children ages 2-12 and parents to participate in the library’s 2022 In-Person Summer Reading Program
- “Oceans of Possibilities”
- Placitas Community Library
- 453 HWY 165, Placitas, NM 87043
The Placitas Library invites all communities in June to participate in a summer reading program, “Oceans of Possibilities.”
The in-person programs start at 1 p.m. on Saturday afternoons and will end by 3 p.m. All programs are free and open to the public in all communities.
Come by the library to get a flyer or visit the website, www.placitaslibrary.com.
Each program will include a special presentation, STEM and/or creative art activities. There will be book giveaways and raffle drawings and, at the end, reading prizes for all who participated in the challenge.
Here are the details about the special presentations:
- Saturday, June 11 – Come to the kick-off costume party. If you like you can wear a costume representing a sea animal or a person associated with the sea, like a pirate, a diver, a mermaid, a sea captain. There will be registration for the Summer Reading Challenge, a book giveaway, a raffle, and several STEM and creative art activities.
- Thursday, June 16 – The Albuquerque Aquarium will visit with a presentation and a display called “Rio to Sea” explaining how the Rio Grande is connected to the ocean and what people can do to help ocean wildlife away from our desert home. The aquarium educators will bring animal ambassadors, a salamander and a turtle.
- Saturday, June 25 – Shark Saturday! Come see sharks in Placitas. Karen and Wayne Brown of The Ocean Adventure have more than 30 years’ experience as marine researchers, divers, educators and award-winning photographers. They will share a video about their “Mexico Great White Shark Expedition.” They will bring a life-sized model of a shark with them. The audience will have an opportunity to ask questions and participate. This program is very interactive, informative, and educational.
Masks are appreciated at the library and parents are asked to remain with their child and help them with the activities.
For questions or to receive an email reminder about our activities, please send your request to: [email protected]