With below freezing temperatures expected in New Mexico the rest of this week, the New Mexico Gas Company is encouraging customers to conserve their natural gas consumption, according to a press release.
Lowering your thermostat 3 to 4 degrees – health permitting – can help you save up to 10 percent on your monthly heating bill, per the release. NMGC recommends people do the following over the next several days:
- Set your thermostat at 68 degrees or lower, health permitting
- Set the water heater thermostat at 120 degrees Fahrenheit or lower
- Open blinds and windows to warm and light your home naturally during daylight hours
- Close them at night to reduce the chill from cold windows
- Reverse your fan in winter to produce a gentle updraft, forcing warm air near the ceiling down into the living space
- Take shorter showers
“The current forecast is calling for significantly colder than normal temperatures from Wednesday through Saturday of this week,” NMGC President Ryan Shell said in the release. “We are closely monitoring weather conditions and natural gas supply chains around the clock to make sure our customers will stay warm. Be assured that our employees will be on 24/7 standby and ready to respond to any issues that may come up.”
If customers believe there’s a problem with any natural gas appliance inside their home or business, they should call the New Mexico Gas Company at 1-888-664-2726.