I attended the (Sept. 12) rally. The Black New Mexico Movement (BNMM) ended the rally, scheduled for 6, at 6:30 p.m. Why?
Blue Lives Matter, NM Civil Guard, ABQ United, Cowboys for Trump and Trump 2020 Supporters used these tactics to shutdown BNMM.
- Online Stalking/Day of the Rally: BNMM published its Unity Rally flyer. ABQ United (what is ABQ United?) then published their counter-rally flyer (“Not in Our City”) with the 1st rally address. BNMM changed their rally location three times day of the rally. Counter-protestors stalked online to follow the third BNMM location.
- Lying/Post-Rally: The counter-protestors lied to the media, stating that they had had their rally, held at the third location, planned for weeks.
- 5:30 p.m. the Wall of Vets, BNMM security team, directed BNMM participants to park their cars in a rectangle so that BNMM’s rally would occur inside this barrier.
- 5:30 p.m. counter-protestors stalked and arrived at BNMM’s third rally location.
- 5:30 p.m. onward intimidation: Arriving counter-protestors intimidated BNMM protestors by screaming jeers, slurs, swears and threats at BNMM participants, making obscene gestures and violating personal space.
- 5:30 p.m. onward weaponizing noise: The counter-protestors blared stereo music and drowned out the BNMM speakers. They also repeatedly revved the engines of their motorcycles and trucks.
- 5:30 p.m. onward brandishing guns: Counter-protestors brandished handguns and long guns. This created fear among BNMM rally goers that these guns would be utilized with no cause.
- 5:30 p.m. onward disregard for public health/safety: Counter-protestors did not wear masks nor observe six feet of distancing, a disregard for public health/safety. Everyone is required to wear a mask in public in New Mexico and maintain six feet distancing when possible.
- 6:05 p.m.: BNMM moved its microphone system to the furthest corner away from counter-protestors inside BNMM’s barrier.
- 6:25 p.m.: BNMM leaders announced that the rally was being called off due to mounting tensions and directed everyone to return to their cars and disperse.
- 6:25 p.m. ignoring and disrespecting the Wall of Vets: Counter-protestors pushed past The Wall of Vets human security line.
- 6:25 p.m. violating the BNMM rally barrier: Counter-protestors pushed past the BNMM car barrier.
- 6:30 p.m.: Counter-protestors trapped the BNMM rally goers inside their own barrier and wandered among the BNMM cars, making it impossible for BNMM protestors to drive out and go home. Counter-protestors blocked the only exit road with motorcycles, cars and trucks. This force restrained the BNMM protestors’ movement.
- 6:35 p.m. overwhelming and terrorizing BNMM protestors with horses: With BNMM attendees trapped, six or so Cowboys for Trump arrived on horseback, broke through the Wall of Vets and the perimeter of BNMM’s cars and mixed in with BNMM attendees. Trapped inside my car, inside the barrier and with the exit road blocked, I felt overwhelmed and terrorized.
- 6:35 p.m. exploitation of animals: Riding horses in the middle of a large crowd of people is animal exploitation and abuse.
- 6:40 p.m. Rio Rancho Police arrive: The Wall of Vets began escorting BNMM cars out, squeezing between protestors, horses and counter-protestor vehicles.
Think about these tactics when you decide to participate in activities, support or not support a cause and vote. I hope someone in the N.M. justice system is listening.