PUBLIC NOTICE OF
DOCUMENTATION FOR A SOLID WASTE FACILITY
INTERIM PERMIT REVIEW, RIO RANCHO LANDFILL, SANDOVAL COUNTY, NEW MEXICO
Pursuant to Section 22 of the New Mexico Solid Waste Act (Section 74-9-22 NMSA 1978) and 126.96.36.199.G and 188.8.131.52 NMAC (New Mexico Solid Waste Rules), notice is hereby given to the public and other affected individuals and entities that the Rio Rancho Landfill (RRLF) has submitted documentation for an interim permit review. In accordance with Section 74-9-24 NMSA 1978, the New Mexico Environment Department shall review solid waste facility permits for privately-owned and operated solid waste facilities at least every five (5) years. The Applicant was issued solid waste facility permits on September 23, 2008.
1. Name, Address, and Phone Number of the Applicant and Contact Person:
Applicant/Owner/Operator of the RRLF:
Waste Management of New Mexico, Inc.
PO Box 15700
(1132 Carpenter Street)
Rio Rancho, NM 87174
Contact Person: Mr. Doug Shimic, District Manager
2. Start-Up Date and Planned Hours of Operation:
RRLF is an existing solid waste facility that was originally permitted in 1985 and is operating pursuant to its current NMED Solid Waste Facility Permits, SWM 231402 & SWM 012339 (SP), issued by NMED on September 23, 2008. RRLF is privately owned and operated by Waste Management of New Mexico, Inc. Current operating hours for RRLF are from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Saturday. The facility is closed on Sunday. RRLF may operate outside of scheduled operating hours to accommodate site preparation, inclement weather conditions, cover application, special projects, infrastructure construction, internal operation/projects, maintenance, monitoring and other special circumstances.
3. Description of the Facility:
- a. General Process. RRLF receives municipal solid waste (MSW), including construction and demolition debris (C&D), as well as special wastes, from commercial haulers and the public. Solid waste is placed and compacted in lined landfill cells that are served by environmental control systems (i.e., composite liners and leachate collection systems, stormwater management controls, groundwater monitoring, landfill gas monitoring, etc.). At the end of each working day, the working face is covered with a minimum of six (6) inches of soil or an NMED-approved alternative daily cover.
- b. Location. RRLF is located entirely within the Town of Alameda Grant and in portions of the projected SW ¼, Section 7, Township 12 North, Range 3 East, Sandoval County, NM. The Landfill is located at 1132 Carpenter Street (formerly 1132 33rd Street, NE) in Rio Rancho, approximately 2.5 miles west of NM 528.
- c. Size. The RRLF site is approximately 101 acres in size.
- d. Quantities and Rate of Solid Waste. RRLF receives an average of approximately 650 tons of solid waste per day (tpd) and may receive more or less solid waste depending upon market conditions. RRLF has the capacity to manage up to approximately 1,500 tpd.
- e. Types of Solid Waste. RRLF is permitted to accept MSW, including C&D, and seven special wastes: ash, spill of a chemical substance or commercial product, industrial solid waste, offal, petroleum contaminated soils, sludge, and treated formerly characteristic hazardous waste. Select recyclables accepted at the RRLF currently include cardboard.
4. Anticipated Origin of Waste: Solid waste and recyclables originate primarily from the City of Rio Rancho and the City of Albuquerque; and Sandoval and Bernalillo Counties. However, waste may originate from outside of these areas.
5. Comments: Questions or comments regarding the Permit Review documentation should be directed to Mr. Doug Shimic at the address provided in Section 1 of this Notice and to NMED at the following address:
Mr. William Schueler
NMED – Solid Waste Bureau
P.O. Box 5469
Santa Fe, NM 87501
Santa Fe, NM 87502-5469
NMED Solid Waste Bureau (physical address):
NMED – Harold Runnels Building, Room N2150
1190 St. Francis Dr.
The interim permit review documentation may be reviewed at the RRLF office (see physical address in Section 1), or at the Solid Waste Bureau (see physical address above).
The Act, the Rules, and the NMED Permit Procedures (20.1.4 NMAC) are available at the NMED Solid Waste Bureau’s web page at: https://www.env.nm.gov/solid-waste/rules-and-statutes.
Observer: July 27, 2023