Some attendees at a March 20 candlelight vigil honoring Alexander Jackson, who was shot and killed March 10, wore T-shirts with his picture and a quote on the back saying, “I shall not wholly die and a great part of me will escape the grave.” Amy Byres photo.

The family of the 15-year-old boy fatally shot in Rio Rancho said they will not rest until his killer is found.
On March 10, officers responded to a call of shots fired around 7 p.m. and found Alex Jackson with multiple gunshot wounds at the former Club Rio Rancho. March 20, family, friends and neighbors gathered at Club Rio Rancho to bring awareness of his death in a candlelight vigil.
His mother, Abbie Jackson, was in tears listening to stories about Alex’s loving nature.
Abbie Jackson asked anyone who knows anything about the death of her son to come forward.
People can report a tip by calling the Rio Rancho Police Department non-emergency number at 891-7226. Callers can remain anonymous if they choose, said RRPD Lt. Richard Koschade.
“If someone would like to speak to an officer in person, our police station is open with restricted hours from 8 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday,” he said.
People can also report a tip online at

People who attended the candlelight vigil on March 20 for Alex Jackson, who was slain on the former golf course property earlier this month, laid down flowers and other items to honor his memory. Amy Byres photo.

In a Facebook post after the vigil, Abbie Jackson said, “Now that the business of the past week is done, I’ll somehow have to find a way to live a life without my baby boy. The world will forever have less color. I will try every day to keep his memory alive. I love you, Alex.”
Signs at the vigil had hashtags saying “#justiceforalex.”
Alex Jackson’s aunt, Ruthie Evangeline Mares, said in a Facebook post about the vigil, “Our family is so thankful for the outpouring of support and love. We will keep sharing Alex’s story until the person who took him from us is brought to justice.”
On Thursday, the Observer reached out to RRPD for more information on the case.
“At this time the case continues to be investigated actively by our violent crimes unit. I do not have any updates to provide in the case,” Koschade said.