Rio Rancho firefighters assess damages on the third floor of the Extended Stay Hotel off New Mexico Highway 528 Thursday morning. (Courtesy Photo/Rio Rancho Fire and Rescue)



A malfunctioning electrical appliance sparked a fire at the Extended Stay America hotel at 2221 New Mexico 528 early Thursday.

No injuries were reported.

About 5 a.m., Rio Rancho Fire and Rescue was dispatched to an attic above a third-floor room where the fire started. Firefighters prevented it from spreading to adjoining rooms or floors.

All the hotel’s visitors were displaced and relocated to other area accommodations, Battalion Chief Ryan Floersheim said.

Fifty rooms were damaged, Extended Stay America Manager Shelli Feichko said.

“The guests have been very, very good,” she said, adding there is no timeline for when the rooms would be repaired.