Tuesday is Election Day, with polls open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Two Rio Rancho Public Schools Board of Education seats are up for grabs, with a third seat having just one candidate. RRPS and Central New Mexico Community College are asking for bonds, and, depending on where you live, your ballot may have elections for smaller entities, such as neighborhood special taxing districts or soil and water conservation districts.
Sample ballots are on the New Mexico Secretary of State’s website, sos.state.nm.us.
The Observer has published information about both bonds, as well as running questionnaires from all RRPS board candidates. In the juggling act of figuring out what races we could cover, we focused on the elections that affect and interest the most people: RRPS board seats and the bond questions.
We’re limited in not just time, but also space in the paper. Advertising sales determine space is available in each edition because we need to have no more pages than advertising sales will cover the cost of producing.
We have to pick the content we think will be of the most interest to the most readers, which means leaving out other topics. The smaller elections didn’t affect as many people.
While we aim to offer our readers as much information as possible, we’d like to think they’re capable enough to look up the things we don’t have the resources to cover.
As to voting, we’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: Participating in self-government is important, and your ballot has the most weight at this local level. Please get reasonably well informed — a critical part of self-government — and add your voice to the mix.
Here’s a list of Election Day polling places in southern Sandoval County:
• Maggie Cordova Elementary School, 1500 Veranda Drive.
• Highlands University in Rio Rancho, 1700 Grande Court.
• Community of Joy Lutheran Church, 841 Saratoga Drive.
• Charity Baptist Church, 5501 Obregon Road.
• Loma Colorado Main Library, 755 Loma Colorado Drive.
• Esther Bone Memorial Library, 950 Pinetree Road.
• Our Lady Queen of Angels, 1701 Tulip Road.
• Puesta del Sol Elementary, 450 Southern Blvd.
• Cielo Azul Elementary, 3804 Shiloh Road.
• Rio Rancho Middle School, 1600 Loma Colorado Blvd.
• Meadowlark Senior Center, 4330 Meadowlark Lane.
• Rio Rancho City Hall, 3200 Civic Center Circle.
• Mountain View Middle School, 4101 Montreal Loop.
• Vista Grande Elementary, 7001 Chayote Road.
• Colinas Del Norte Elementary, 1001 Night Sky Ave.
• Soul Rio Church, 2003 Southern Blvd.
• Corrales Recreation Center, 500 Jones Road.
• Sandia View Christian School, 24 Academy Lane.
• Bernalillo High School Gym, 148 Spartan Alley.
• Bernalillo Middle School, 485 Camino Don Tomas.
• Sandoval County Administration Building, 1500 Idalia Road, Building D.
• Placitas Community Library, 453 NM 165.
• Las Placitas Presbyterian Church, 7 Paseo De San Antonio.
• Algodones Elementary School, 395 Calle San Jose.
• Our Lady of Assumption Church, 040 Legion Drive.
Those locations are all convenience centers, meaning you can vote there as long as you’re registered in Sandoval County, regardless of precinct. So get out and vote!