Cleveland High has more than a handful of great basketball players, showcasing their skills in the Thunderdome. (Herron photo)
Cleveland High School, proud to be the home of 51 state championship teams, heads into its 14th year of existence with the establishment of a sports hall of fame.
Rio Rancho High School established its Sports Hall of Fame eight years ago, inducting former Rams student-athletes, coaches and contributors every homecoming weekend since 2014.
In fact, the RRHS Sports Hall of Fame will soon announce its illustrious Class of 2022, to be inducted before the homecoming game on Sept. 9.
Likewise, the new Cleveland High School Athletics Hall of Fame will provide a forum to recognize those distinguished alumni, teams, coaches, athletic directors and boosters/benefactors who exemplify the highest standards of Cleveland athletics through their endeavors, accomplishments and sportsmanship.
Storm alumni and the general public are invited to submit names for nomination to the Athletic Hall of Fame selection committee. The nomination form may be found at https://sites.google.com/rrps.net/chsathletics/hall-of-fame
Hall of Fame may be made in the following categories:
• Former Player (must have attended CHS 3 consecutive years)
• Former Coach (coach must be inactive for a minimum of 3 years)
• Major Contributor/Supporter/CHS staff member who significantly contributed
• Nominees shall come from the three categories listed above and shall have made an exceptional contribution to his or her sport, the coaching profession or the CHS athletic department.
• The nomination of candidates for consideration will be done via an official CHS Athletic HOF nomination form. This is the only route for a nominee to be considered. It will be encouraged that the official form has supporting evidence (background information, newspaper clippings, articles, etc.). This will allow the selection committee evidence to give proper consideration to a nominee.
• The committee will annually consider eligible nominees and select one nominee from each category if warranted.
• Nominations are due by Aug. 31 annually.
Nominees selected to enter the CHS AHOF will be notified by mail.
The Hall of Fame Selection Committee is made up of individuals representing various roles within the CHS athletic program and Rio Rancho Public Schools. These former student-athletes, community members, coaches and administrators will serve varying terms on the committee.
NOMINATION AND VOTING PROCESS
The Hall of Fame selection committee has established and will observe the following guidelines for the nominations and voting process:
• The committee will annually consider eligible nominees and select one nominee from each category, if warranted;
• A Hall of Fame selection committee member is not permitted to be inducted into the CHS Athletic Hall of Fame while serving on the committee;
• A Hall of Fame selection committee member is not permitted to nominate himself or herself;
• Candidates for induction remain eligible for three years if not selected for induction the year they are nominated; and
• The Hall of Fame selection committee will primarily consider nominees’ achievements/recognitions at VCHS, but collegiate and career achievements will be taken into consideration on an individual basis.