- Quick response kept fire to only 34 acres
Albuquerque Fire Rescue declared the Bosque fire 100% contained as of June 1 and out as of June 3.
Multiple agencies were involved in quick response to the fire – Bernalillo County, Town of Bernalillo, Sandoval County, Rio Rancho, Cochiti, Corrales, NM State, U.S. Forest Service, Belen and Washington State fire departments.
The rapid response by those departments enabled crews to hold the blaze to 34 acres, according to a statement from Albuquerque Fire Rescue.
“I can’t thank all the members of AFR and the surrounding fire departments enough for their response and hard work over the last week and a half to protect our Bosque and city,” said AFR Chief Gene Gallegos in the statement. “As we are seeing across the state, wildland fires can and will affect a community very quickly, which is why AFR’s training and resources regarding wildland fire response are so important. This was an ‘all hands on deck’ event and all members did just that.”
The Open Spaces in the area that are closed will remain closed for recovery efforts. The paved trail to the east of the Rio Grande will remain open as well as the rest of the Bosque. Visitors are encouraged to continue to keep an eye out for and report any fire threats they may see.
“The Open Space Division will work closely with partners, including Bosque School, to assess the impacts of the fire and put in place post-fire recovery efforts. We ask that the public stay clear of these areas while this work is underway, which will include short- and long-term activities to restore the area to a healthy habitat,” said Open Space Superintendent, Colleen Langan-McRoberts.
The Open Space Division continues to encourage the public to become Trail Watch volunteers, and participate in upcoming Fire Watch trainings that supports emergency response efforts. For more information go to the website.