An Albuquerque police officer is accused of roughing up his girlfriend on Sunday at the couple’s home in Rio Rancho.

Isaiah Ortiz y Pino, 27, is charged with battery against a household member in connection with the incident. He was booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center but has since been released.

Ortiz y Pino joined the Albuquerque Police Department in December 2022, APD spokesman Gilbert Gallegos said.

Gallegos said Ortiz y Pino is on paid administrative leave while the department conducts an internal investigation.

The girlfriend filed a restraining order against Ortiz y Pino on Monday, alleging a “history of physical abuse” that included “unpredicted outbursts for no reason.”

In the petition, she wrote that APD officers came to the house and took Ortiz y Pino’s “work-assigned firearms” after his arrest.

The mother of Ortiz y Pino’s child, a different woman, filed a restraining order against him in 2020, alleging he was stalking her and exhibited “unpredictable chaotic behavior.” The case was dismissed soon after.

On Sunday, Rio Rancho police responded to a domestic dispute in the 550 block of Archibeque SE, northeast of Idalia and Southern. Officers found Ortiz y Pino had left the home, but his girlfriend and her 11-year-old daughter were “crying and shaking.”

The girlfriend told police that Ortiz y Pino had been drinking and throwing beer foam on the wall, sparking an argument in front of their respective children, according to a criminal complaint filed in Magistrate Court. She said they went into the bedroom, and the argument escalated until Ortiz y Pino threw her on the bed repeatedly, grabbing her by the neck and hair.

Police said the girlfriend told them she screamed for help and Ortiz y Pino took his 5-year-old daughter and left the home. She told police Ortiz y Pino had gotten physical with her “numerous times” in the past, but “this was the worst it had ever been.”

The girlfriend told police she called her mother for help because Ortiz y Pino had warned her that if she called 911, “she would be the one to get in trouble” because he is an officer and “could not get in trouble with the law,’ according to the complaint. Officers observed markings they believe indicated abuse on the girlfriend’s neck and chest.

Police said Ortiz y Pino initially called the non-emergency line to request an escort back to the home but then hung up on dispatchers. Officers tried to call him back several times, and it went straight to voicemail.