Joshua Hernandez, Republican
Note: Hernandez is unopposed.
Community of residence: Rio Rancho, NM
Education: Currently working towards my associate degree at CNM — Working towards a bachelor’s degree in strategic communications from UNM.
Professional and political experience: Digital Marketing Manager – Agenda, LLC, an international public affairs, strategic communications and advocacy agency based in Albuquerque.
Have you ever been charged with a felony or DWI? If yes, please explain. Over 10 years ago I was arrested for DWI. The arrest put everything that is important into perspective and with the help of my family and friends I have completely changed my life for the better which has led me to where I am today.
How can people reach you if they have questions? My website is HernandezNM.com, email is [email protected]. You can also like my page at Facebook.com/HernandezforNM.
1. What restrictions or requirements should the state government be allowed to enact in public-health emergencies, and what should be the procedure for enacting them?
I support wearing masks and social distancing to keep New Mexicans safe and to not overload our medical system. I am concerned over the health orders that have led to record unemployment and hundreds of small businesses closing.
2. What, if any, changes should be made to funding and regulation for law enforcement in New Mexico?
I am a big supporter of our First Responders an I will not support defunding our law enforcement. These courageous men and women put their lives on the line every day to protect our families and our community. We must support them and make sure they have the resources they need to keep us safe.
3. What, if anything, should be done about the issues of racism and racial equality in New Mexico?
Being raised in a Hispanic family I have unfortunately seen racism and racial inequality with my own eyes. We unfortunately cannot legislate racism so we must work as a community to be inclusive of all types of diversity.
4. What should be done to help New Mexico’s economy recover from the pandemic?
Our state’s economy has been ravaged by the pandemic. We have lost thousands of jobs, many of which will never return. We must work to become more business friendly not only for the businesses that have survived the pandemic but also to attract new business to open in our state.
5. What are your views on universal health care?
I support a person’s right to choose their own plans and their own doctors.
6. What would be your top priorities in the upcoming legislative session?
My top priorities will be rebuilding our economy and getting New Mexicans back to work. Education, Tax Reform and supporting our First Responders are also among my top priorities.